Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I Threw Away My Scale Today

So yesterday, I was a multitasking master.  We had just arrived home from a trip to St. Louis the night before, and in a very short span of time, I had cranked it OUT, folks.  Before noon, I had fed my kids, put one down for a nap, played, done laundry, cleaned my kitchen, figured out how to make homemade mac & cheese without milk (thanks, google!), pulled something out for dinner, fed my kids again, dressed them, & showered & dressed myself.  BOOYAH.  Then, I went to work, came home, & in an hour's time, I managed to bake said mac & cheese, change diapers, make baby food, pack a diaper bag & swim bag, & make it to a friend's house ON TIME for dinner.  HOLLA AT YA GIRL!  YEAH!   I FREAKING ROCK.
After the cookout, Joe headed home to put the kids to bed, & I ran to the grocery store to get some much needed essentials.  As I stood waiting my turn at the deli, basking in the glory of getting through this day like a BOSS, a kind man started talking to me.  We chatted a bit, and then he said, "So, you're expecting, I see!".  Um, WHAT?! NO.  HELL NO.   Just like that, my little happy bubble burst into a thousand pieces.  Day shattered.  Accomplishments thrown by the wayside.
While I would like to say that I was able to let the man's assumption roll off my back, I am afraid the opposite is true.  As I walked down the aisles, my mind filled with so much self loathing & disgust for the current state of my body that I could barely continue to shop.  I was on the verge of tears, & as hard as I tried, those mean things I thought about myself could not be silenced.  Finally, I stopped my cart, pulled out my phone, & texted my three close friends to tell them what had just happened.  I dumped it on them so that I could stop dumping it on myself.  It was the only thing I could think to do, & in that moment of desperation, I received an outpouring of love.
The texts started rolling in, telling me not to believe the lies in my head, that I was a good person - a beautiful person, that I was loved, that I wasn't alone.  When I got to my car, I cried.  I cried a lot.  Partly because I was sad, but mostly because it felt good to know that people had my back.  
I read once that if you wear good jeans & your hair looks nice, people often think you have it all together.  I think I dress pretty well, & I love a cute hairdo, but can I tell you something?  I am a MESS sometimes.  Like, a BIG one.  And right now, I am struggling.  I am struggling with my body image.  I am struggling with not liking what I see in the mirror every day.  I am struggling with the idea that I might not ever look how I used to look, & that people might talk about it.  I'll be honest; I love attention.  I love being the funny one, the cute one, the best one.  I really like being the cute one.  I know it is dumb - it is totally ridiculous that I am in my thirties & still care about this, but I do.  So when I don't look how I think I need to look, I tell myself some really crazy lies.  I tell myself that I peaked in high school, that everyone thinks I'm fat, that I need to lose this last 10 pounds or I'll never look good again, that I'm not enough, that I'm ugly.
I know I'm not the only one who struggles with what they see in the mirror each day, because my friends (who I think are gorgeous, thin, & fabulous!) tell me they struggle too.  I don't understand how they could struggle, since I see them as so fantastic, but they say the same to me.  So what is WRONG here?  Why are we doing this to ourselves?  When am I going to believe that I am enough, & that I am doing the best that I can?
This must stop.  And I know that I'm only one person, but I'm going to name it again.... and again... and again.  However many times I need to name it, I'm going to do it until it stops.  Stops for me, stops for all of us.  We are enough.  We are smart, kind, fun, beautiful, creative, and loved by God.  I am enough.  I am funny, emotional, loud, silly, compassionate, & giving.  I am more than my weight, more than my face, more than a number on a scale.  So I'm throwing that dumb thing out today.  Out to the trash it goes. I'm letting good into my heart & I'm going to try my best to silence the lies.  I have family, friends, and a God who sees me & knows me.  They think I am enough, & I'm going to try to believe it too.
If you are reading this, could you do me a favor?  Can you reply in the comments & tell me one good thing about yourself?  I would love that.  And maybe, just maybe, you need to be reminded that you are enough too.


18 comments:

  1. That does ROCK, (been there) but my day would have been destroyed too. Your kids are the same age apart as mine. I have struggled the weight the last several years too. Promising myself I would ditch this last 15 pounds before my son turns 2...not much time left there. :P But I AM really good at my job and would rather spend time with my kids when I get home than work out. Not that there is anything wrong with ladies who do that! (I am going to try the jeans and hair thing. I think that is a really good tip!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, theresa! truth be told, my jeans are from target- but they are still super cute. your babes are the cutest, & lucky to have a mama like you!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE YOU! I'm complimenting myself today for choosing you (and you choosing me! woo!!) as one of friends I've kept in contact with for so many years. You're in my life for good, sister. You have no idea how many lives you've touched and influenced. I often think "What would Tiffany do?" To me, and to so many others I'm sure, you're one of the most beautiful women in the world! Penelope is so blessed to call you mom and to look to you as an example. Thanks for your honesty. So much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, love. so thankful for you & super proud of you! xo

      Delete
  3. EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Thanks for putting a voice to it! I am a good photographer. And I am good at helping others in need. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes you are good at BOTH of those things! & don't forget, making cute babies. :) thanks, sarah!

      Delete
  4. oh man…. lady….you are and have always been fabulous. someone who inspires confidence and joy in others. you helped me find my voice many years ago. i am a better sister, daughter, wife, and friend because you have made your print on my life. thanks for sharing your heart sweet one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, friend. so thankful that God blessed me with you. :) i am a better ALL of those things thanks to you as well! AND i know what chacos are because of you, so... :) love you! xo

      Delete
  5. i don't know you personally, but i've read your blog a couple times as the result of a share by our mutual friend, janelle. i love this post because i also reached that point recently where i promised to stop hating myself for my 'flaws'. it won't be easy, but it will be worth it because we are both wonderfully made. God said so.

    may God bless your journey, i'm going to continue reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! what sweet words. & janelle is the best, so i know you must be amazing... since like attracts like. :) many blessings to you as well! thanks for reading.

      Delete
    2. hooray! i love that you read this, staci!

      i think you're both pretty fantastic.

      Delete
  6. great thoughts tiff.... and yes, it is comforting (at times) to know we all struggle with things like this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, peter! i know i give you a hard time at irish christmas, but you are super fab & take it like a champ. :) ps- we WILL win this year. girls RULE.

      Delete
  7. I am pregnant with my second and so the weight thing is currently not an issue.....but it will be very soon. Thanks for your inspiring words.....you asked us to comment on something we are good at. Every time i look in the mirror from now on and see my grey hair and huge droopy breasts, i am going to think about my 22 month old and her face when she sees me. I am a good Mother and you sound like Super Mum :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. congrats on baby #2! thanks so much for the kind words. :) cheers to droopy boobs- you're not alone. ;) blessings!

      Delete
  8. Well, I am a very loyal friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you Tiffany Graham!! I was ounces asked that same question pre-babies, when I was looking damn good & living in CA. The old lady rubbed my tummy even. Now I know people are crazy. Never again have I let someone else dictate how I feel about myself. As long as I feel good about me (embracing my wavy hair, country girl, live for thrifting self) I am good with that. You are enough too my dear. You are beautiful and in the last year I have really gotten to fall in live with you all over again. Thank you for that. P.S. I relish in the fact that no mama has it all together!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete